Wednesday, September 8, 2010

(Originally written in June)
 
I'm writing this from Kenya, though I have been in Madgascar now for two months. And yes, this is my feeble first attempt at blogging....not sure what it will look like, a journey at least.


Humanitarian work is always challenging and rewarding...so here below are some rewards! I completed my first field visit a couple of weeks ago and here are my thoughts, activities...malagasy musings...for you. 


Day in the life of Maroantsetra


Wake up at 6ish...in any case you will be awake by 4 am...thanks to the chickens. Get out of my mosquito net.Unlock the house and walk outside to the shower (depending on how strong I feel, I'll just go for the cold shower and not waste time heating up water in the kitchen)

Breakfast - strong local coffee with sweet bread from the bread seller and some home-made yoghurt

7.20 hop on my bicycle and travel 2 minutes to the office.  The streets are all sandy..actually sand is everywhere and it seems to find you just after you shower!

Meet with the team and see what is on the agenda for today....Recéption Definitif. 

First we travel by canoe for about an hour and then hike barefoot through rivers, streams, rice paddies, muddy fields past the zebu to get to the village.

Here the water pumps are handed over to the communities.




























This has been one of the most humbling experiences of my life. I had tears in my eyes as we were greeted by the all the people in the villages...singing, dancing, clapping...ecstatic to see us. I was humbled by the thanks we were receiving, humbled by the simple fact of clean water, humbled that I was able to reap the benefits sown by former colleagues... I can't explain this feeling well...overwhelming, bursting.